1. Source file
In DataFeedWatch you will find a channel called “DFW Text Ads”. Use that to create a data feed for your text ads. Make sure that
- out-of stock products are excluded from your feed
- your feed contains separate fields with all data that you need to create keywords and text ads
2. Tag assignment
You can select which products to include in this campaign. If you do nothing, all products will be included.
Why not include all products?
- AdWords does not allow more than 10,000 adgroups per campaign. So if you have more than 10,000 products in your feed, you need to create multiple campaigns. The best way is to sub-divide by category or brand
- Multiple campaigns enable you to set a separate budget and template for each category or brand
4. Create Keywords
Make sure that all relevant data is in your feed. If not add it in DFW! Examples: brand, color, product type, size, etc).
a) By Truncating
Truncating is the best way to create keywords. It will get you the most eligible keywords. Truncating is using all combinations of the words in your title as a keyword:
- Long (tail!) keywords are more specific and have a higher buying-intent
- Short keywords have a higher search volume
How does truncating work?
Truncating your title = shortening your title by cutting off one word at the time from the end. So:
- keyword 1 = adidas Adipower Boost Boa Shoes White 10 Womens Golf
- keyword 2 = adidas Adipower Boost Boa Shoes White 10 Womens
- keyword 3 = adidas Adipower Boost Boa Shoes White 10
- keyword 4 = etc.
When does it stop truncating a title?
- When it reaches words that are not unique to a product; these words are found in the title of multiple products (like variants). These words are better added as a keyword for a Product Group campaign.
- You can make it stop truncating when it reaches a specific word (string) that you enter
- You can make it stop truncating when it reaches a specific field (tag) that you have selected from the drop-down.
- You can make it stop truncating when it reaches a minimum number of words that you set: a minimum of 2 words is required, so when you set it to ‘Truncate +1 word’, it will stoop truncating when there are 3 words left.
b) By Tag combination
This method is only useful for retailers that sell electronics, computers and other products that people can find by searching brand, model, type, number, etc.:
You can use both Tag Combination and Truncating
5. Ads Creation
How to create better text ads?
You can only create the best text ads if you have the right fields in your data feed. So make sure that you have added all fields that you need in DataFeedWatch. Use ‘Custom fields’ to create any field you need. Examples:
- Product_name_only: Your product name may contain too much data: create a new field like ‘Product_name_only’ and make sure that only the essential parts are in there.
- Product_type_only: the Category may be Men’s > Golf > Jackets, but you want it to be Jackets or Men’s Golf Jackets. Create new field like ‘Product_type_only where only ‘Jackets’ is extracted with a regexp or where the “>” is removed.
- Synonyms & Misspellings: if you have enriched your feed with synonyms of your product types or misspelings of your brands or products, you can create additional templates to include those as well.
To create additional fields, just go back to the channel DFW text Ads in DataFeedWatch and add custom fields. Then refresh the feed in the tab ‘source file’.
Error messages / Why does my template not work for 100% of my ads?
Usually there are too many characters in the Headlines or Description. There are several ways to solve that:
- Prolong: for some of the products, the field that you entered in Headline 1 is longer than 30 characters, so it will not fit. If you click ‘prolong’, the text is extended into Headline 2.
- Remove specific words (see below)
- Cut off all characters over 30 in Headline 2 (see below)
Multiple text ad templates
You can add several templates to create text ads, to
- Create ads for the products that were not covered by the first template
- Have multiple text ads per adgroup (good for a/b testing)
More options to tailor your text ads
There are several ways to improve your templates and/or to fix errors. Click the Options-tab on the left side of the template (see image) and find several ways to shorten or remove items from the text ad: